Sunday, June 15, 2014

Vancouver Olympics, and Valentine chocolate (2-15-10)


This below was the topic of an essay assignment for Eiken--a test for measuring English proficiency--which my private teacher prepared from somewhere a couple of years ago.


***Instructions***

Write an essay on the given topic keeping the following points in mind:


*Write about 200 words

*Divide the essay into paragraphs--introduction, body paragraphs, and conclusion

*Keep the introduction and conclusion brief--about two to three sentences in length

*Of the points given, choose any three. Base each body paragraph on one point

*Use examples to support your argument

*Use transitional elements like “next,” “therefore,” “finally,” etc., to link words, ideas, sentences, and paragraphs to ensure a smooth flow


***Topic***

The role of sports in today’s society


***HINTS***


*Athletes as role models

*Economic effects of sports

*Health

*Sports as part of educational curriculum

*The Olympics

*Values promoted


Now, I take on this again.

The Vancouver Winter Olympic Games began yesterday, February 13th. Before then, I yet saw a large advertisement photo of Aiko Uemura, a skier in the mogul category, on the billboard hung on a building in Ikebukuro, on one of my regular jogging courses; this version of Uemura impacted me the most, considerably due to the size. TV programs and commercials have been frequently starring athletes for the Olympics. Most people know the event and share the topic in conversation.

Not only Japanese but other nationals usually champion their compatriots the most. This phenomenon seems normal as massive advertising campaigns are propped by the pictures of native athletes, and supporters in each country are attentive to the whereabouts of the medal table. The moment when the effort of a compatriot athlete has borne fruit should be most pleasant.

As those sorts of sports are going to be done on either snow or ice, it may seem less likely that they will activate the mirror neurons of people who don’t live in snowy regions and inspire them to do the same sport. In other words, if a sport done on a bare surface comes to the focus of attention, it may seem more likely that people as ordinary in doing sports as Tanaka or Yamada will imitate a competitive athlete. They might even begin exercising in some way habitually, for better health. In addition, if an increase in the number of supporters like those Tanakas is visible, the sales of tie-ins which feature the pictures of the compatriot athletes should show a rise as well.

Today, however, while skiers or snowboarders, for instance, are dots around snowy mountainous regions, other people are able to enjoy doing the sports by means of video games. Video-game makers happily tap into the occasion. Meanwhile, the Vancouver Olympics, still a worldly event, can encourage economies in the same manner too.

(Regarding video games, thanks to Wii’s unique remote control, a longer playing time doesn’t simply mean a lack of exercise; With the release of Microsoft’s Natal, players will just move the whole body.)

In addition, a flurry of TV scenes adorned with either snow or ice could evoke nostalgic feelings about the event, in the future. (It has just begun being held, but, weirdly enough, I was made to have this kind of sentiment by slight hail yesterday, Saturday.)

To be honest, I am not quite an avid supporter of the Vancouver Olympics while being pleased by learning good news about Japanese athletes via digested footage afterwards. If my fondness for the event was strong enough to take me to Vancouver or keep me in front of the TV, I wouldn’t have been writing this essay with these contents at the moment. Moreover, if I were luckier the day for this writing would have opted out of this Valentine’s day when Japanese women ritualistically give their boyfriends or husbands chocolate.

Yet the lady whom I love the most, is an American.

Through English classes I have learned that men give women something like roses on the American version of Valentine’s Day. I would like to follow this man-to-woman direction during a class tomorrow, Monday, a day after exact Valentine’s Day, as she would be the teacher in charge. (This condition with ethics around the major English conversation school company restricts our meeting up together.)

Although I have yet prepared something which looks like a large piece of banana-flavored chocolate--a textbook whose yellow cover indicates the second lowest amongst seven colors--for tomorrow’s occasion, I won’t be allowed to hand it--inedible, of course--to her because the gift would have possibly been considered to be a bribe for promoting the classification of my English proficiency. I have just booked the class of the level given by her. In spite of the restriction, we, including other students, will share the gift in the same booth.

This following, meanwhile, is about an actual purchase.

Yesterday, a chilly Saturday, I dropped by TOKYU HANDS in Ikebukuro and bought a bunch of artificial flowers. Appearing during this shopping, in the mega hardware shop or in the basement of the Ikebukuro rail station, those were couples whose moods were cheerful as was the air of Valentine’s Day. There even was the influence of the Vancouver Olympics.

The bunch of flowers was not expensive at all, but expected to impart the mood of Valentine’s Day to the class just by being placed in sight.

Earlier in the afternoon today, Sunday, after sharing lunch with my mother at a restaurant in her neighborhood, I found a postcard in my mailbox. This postcard suggested that I had passed the first stage of Eiken, which consisted of two stages, the first one with a booklet for reading, writing and listening, and the second one for scoring a two-minute speech in the interview style, at my ninth attempt for the grade.

I am glad with this success of course, but I have mixed feelings that I can hardly describe. It’s true that she has been helping my English improve. Nevertheless, it’s a fact that I engage in this writing on Valentine’s Day. If this essay was for real Eiken, the score would be horrific as I flouted the rules. But you know, I have something much more important than the exam.

***

At night on Monday, I shared a class with her whom I do love. The bunch of flowers and each yellow textbook of the three students including me was placed on a kidney-shaped table in the booth. She entered it as chimes rang. I found her putting on a green cardigan over a blue shirt, and modest makeup which was thinnest on my most recent occasions with her. Let me report that she looked like a natural flower in coordination between yellow, blue and green.



No comments:

Post a Comment